RIO DE JANEIRO, May 8 (Xinhua) -- CONMEBOL president Alejandro Dominguez said Friday he was surprised by a FIFA decision to allow up to five substitutions per match following the coronavirus pandemic.
Football's governing body said organizers of individual competitions would be free to adopt the change until the end of 2020 or maintain the existing three-substitute limit.
"We are surprised by this measure, for which our confederation was not consulted," the head the of the South American Football Confederation said in a social media post.
"CONMEBOL will convene a panel of experts to analyze it and present its conclusions to the board, which will decide whether to adopt it in South American tournaments."
World football rule-making body IFAB approved the change after receiving a proposal from FIFA that sought to protect the health of players, FIFA said in a statement earlier on Friday.
All substitutions must be made within a maximum of three intervals per team, in addition to the half-time break, it said.
The changes come as football leagues around the world prepare to restart after almost two months of inactivity caused by the global health crisis. South Korea's K-League resumed on Friday and Germany's Bundesliga will follow on May 16.
South America's top leagues have yet to determine a return date.
"The temporary amendment comes into force with immediate effect, and has been made as matches may be played in a condensed period in different weather conditions, both of which could have impacts on player welfare," FIFA said.
"The IFAB and FIFA will determine at a later stage whether this temporary amendment would need to be extended further (e.g. for competitions due to be completed in 2021)."
FIFA also said that competitions would be free to temporarily dispense with the video assistant referee (VARU) because of a perceived contagion threat.